Monday, November 19, 2012

Interview with Andrea Saccone Snyder


Andrea Saccone Snyder is an amazing Artist with a passion of helping others. Her art is soothing and creative! She uses recycled materials, crayons and various other materials in her mixed media work. She also is a Haripist ( her trademark name)- a hair stylist and a therapist. She owns Andrea and Co. Salon. Let's find out about her art...



Q: What inspires you in your daily life?

A: Honestly the question should be what doesn't? Sometimes it is a curse, I have inspiration overload most times. Ideas, ideas, ideas... every thing from dirt to dreams and in between. I could be driving down the road and see the light playing with a gathering of leaves, the colors of someone's scarf, a conversation overheard in the market, my boy's laugh. My issue in the past has been getting the idea down on paper in some form. Focus and completion. Lately it seems I have broken through and have been quite prolific. I have had to become more organized than I have wanted in the past. Knowing that I can be overwhelmed with incoming ideas, and seeing the pattern that followed..... Paralyzation. I decided finally... ( something about turning 41) I NEED TO DO IT! One step at a time. Jot down ideas and get them in an ordely way. I essentially too back the control.

Q: I noticed you have your own business, can you tell us about how it came about?

A: I have owned my Hair Salon for 10 years and have been a Stylist / Colorist for 21 years. That is astounding to me to see on paper. I feel like a kid at heart. I grew up in a family of hair people. My Mother is a practicing Stylist and my late Grandmother was too, until just a few years before her death at age 81. I have numerous Aunts and cousins who were in the business, even my Father tried his hand as a Barber for a while. I like to say I have Barbicide running through my veins. Believe it or not it was not my intention to be a Stylist. It just seemed like an easy thing to do at the time. I was in Art school. I took a break for a year deciding to go to Beauty school to get certified. My plan was to return to College. I just never did. I figured fine art was my thing and I could paint and draw on my own time at my own pace. If I wanted to. ( I wasted a lot of time oh, 20 years floundering for various reasons not making much art) I think I wanted to start my "life" and earn money. Lucky me, I walked right into my Mother's Salon and started my career. I soon left to spread my wings in a few different Salons and then moved to NC with my now Husband. This is where I started my Salon Business.



Q: When did you start making art?

A: I started making art as a wee one of course. Like many of us. I just remember the feeling I had of pure joy and boundless possibility when a piece of fresh paper and some crayons or markers were put in front of me. The 64 pack of Crayola crayons with the built in sharpener can still conjure up smells and memories of that joyous time. I felt a mastery of some sort too. Which helped keep me interested.

Q: What inspires you to make art?

A: I am inspired by shape and colors I see in our world, and nature. It is hard to describe in words. It is like how, of course our bodies need air. When I am inspired by something it feels like the time between the inspiration and when I sit down to manifest something, is like the time between breaths. Like I am holding my breath on some level when I do create.

Q: What is your favorite medium?

A: Lately it's a wax combo I started playing with. Crayola ( yes back to my roots) bee's wax, soy wax and oil paint. Then I use other things like ink, watercolor and graphite and collage in my mixed media work.

Andrea's pallet



Q: What Artist inspires you?

A: Latelly Kelly Rae Roberts and so many of the amazing women from the Flying Lessons group. Of course I love the masters. Monet's winter scenes mostly. Degas and his use of line. Cezanne and Turner. My Husband David E Snyder who is also a painter. I am a bad 'name' person so I see work, it makes an impression and I have no idea who it is... same with music and bands. I can know a song very well and still be clueless to who is singing.

Q: On your blog you say you are a Hairapist, can you explain this?

A: I am a Hairapist. This is a term I am working to get noticed and integrated into society as I am on this beauty journey. Over the past 21 years I have been somewhat of a social scientist in my job. (I almost studied psychology or social work in college). My observations have lead me to this firm hypothesis. Hairstylists are VERY much like therapists. We play a very vital role in society. Beyond aesthetics. The Salon can be a very sacred space for women and men. It is one of a handful of professions were we have a license to touch. Sometimes in the case of single or elderly clients it is the only touch they get all week or month. It is one place people can come and truly let their hair down. Be seen as they are. No make-up, hair a mess. Time to BE. There is something about draping a cutting cape over the client as a lets say passive restraint. In the hands of a skilled "Hairapist" the client immediately relaxes and more often than not begins to share themselves with the stylist. From insecurities about their looks to details of close personal relationships and everything in between. This relationship can span decades. Through every major life transition. It is one of my missions in life to bring this phenomenon out to be acknowledged and to train stylists on some level about how to best utilize their role in the community as a "healer", "helper" to bring a real consciousness to the Salon and behind the chair. I think we as hairstylists have an opportunity to be a part of a global healing. But it has to start with the stylist themselves being conscious about their own life, healing and journey to wholeness. I hope to write more about this soon on my blog. Get something published or maybe a short documentary... ideas, ideas, ideas!


Q: Do you have any advise to give to your Artists?

A: My advise to fellow Artist would have to be... if you are a painter, paint. If you are a jewelry maker, make jewelry. If you are a writer, write. That is how you grow and evolve. Don't waste any more time thinking you need to know something more. You will learn what you need to know as you DO. The time is NOW. Live it!! Create your life one step at a time. Be grateful for it all. Lessons finally learned for me.

Andrea is currently running a kickstarter Reproducing Beauty to get her Art business rolling. Please help her reach her goal! She only has a few days left plus you get to see a very cool video of what she is currently working on.

Visit her blog Flowergirl Designs

Buy her art on Etsy Flowergirl Designs


Thank you Andrea for your inspiring words. The time is now! Make your Art, get creative, do what you love!

Have a wonderful day!
Chandra


4 comments:

  1. Great interview ladies! So inspiring! The artists from our Flying Lessons group also inspire me and keep me bouyed when I'm having second thoughts about my art, etc. Congrats on a great interview!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, great interview. I love the advice too for your fellow artists. And good luck with the kickstarter fund Andrea. Thanks Chandra for the interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful interview you two. I love what you said about hair stylists and therapy Andrea. It makes so much sense!

    ReplyDelete