Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Gluten Free Holiday Enjoyment!

Today I am talking about a yummy thankful Holiday with gluten free, sugar free sweets! I enjoyed Pecan Pie when I was younger. Now due to my no sugar diet I stay away from sweet things. Although I still love sweet things. I have been baking muffins with fruit as a sweetener lately. I found this recipe about 10 years ago in Vegetarian Times Magazine. It's called Quick Banana Bread but Iv'e changed it so much it is now more like Pumpkin Muffins so I'll call them this.
Pumpkin Muffins
1/4 cup almond milk (or any milk you like the old recipe said soy milk)
6 Tablespoons olive oil
6 Tablespoons maple syrup ( I use agave nectar sometimes or just omit this)
21/4 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup pumpkin ( they used peanut butter)
2 cups flour ( I use almond and 1/4 cup coconut flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cranberries,  blueberries or chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Blend the wet ingredients together in a blender. mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the wet and the dry together using as few strokes as possible. Fold in cranberries, blueberries or chocolate chips.
Place by spoonful into muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes until brown.

I hope you enjoy!

There are two great bloggers out there I frequently read. The Balanced Platter and Elana's Pantry. Just when you thought you couldn't enjoy any desserts for the holidays here come the great tasting gluten free pies. They have many great recipes but I found this recipe from The Balance Platter Maple Pecan Freezer Fudge. It looks good, who needs crust!


I did make it almost to her recipe. I omitted the stevia and added more maple syrup equaling 1/2 cup. I also added vanilla and put them in the frig instead of the freezer. My Husband said they were good but a little too sweet. I can't have maple syrup either so I am making my own version with agave nectar and maple flavoring.

I did find a great recipe for gluten free pie crust from Elana's Pantry  made of almond flour, yum!
This recipe has eggs but this one from her book is better. It is easy to make.

Pie Crust
1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, agave and vanilla. Stur in wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture until combined. Press dough into a 9 1/2 inch or deep dish pie pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before filling.


 Then you can add berries, pumpkin, or chocolate cream pie. Elana has many great dessert recipes. I am so grateful to her, she has a great cook book with many wonderful foods!


Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your Holidays!

Chandra

Thanks for leaving a comment, I love to read them!

2 comments:

  1. These look so yummy. I have a tofu peanut butter pie recipe that would by great in hat pie shell. Maybe for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete