Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tea time tea, time time for you and me time - Chai Tea

Chai tea is my favorite. I used to drink it 3 times a day. It was the Oregon Chai packed full of caffeine and sugar. I was so unhealthy I had to stop drinking it. I no longer use caffeine or sugar I decided to make my own chai. I needed to start with a good base tea. I chose Rooibos. It has a flavor close to black tea but no caffeine and many healthy benefits. See below. Then I added all the Indian whole spices ( cinnamon, ginger, cardamon, cloves, black pepper, and to add chocolate flavor because I am a chocoholic, cocoa nibs)  I like in my chai and yum! It turned out so delicious. Then you can sweeten it with anything you like. I add chocolate almond milk or coconut milk. It turns out super good every time!
Health Benefits of Rooibos
The health benefits of Red Bush are very similar to tea made from camellia sinensis leaves.
  1. Contains similar amounts of polyphenols and has been shown to be anti-carcinogenic, anti-mutagenic, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral activity.
  2. Naturally caffeine-free so is ideal for people who want to cut back on caffeine or want to drink it before going to bed. Actually it’s recommended you drink it before going to bed as it can help with insomnia. It’s also very low in tannins.
  3. Contains calcium, manganese and fluoride to help build strong teeth and bones.
  4. Can be given to infants suffering from colic, sleeping problems or stomach cramps. 
  5. Contains alpha hydroxy acid and zinc which is great for the skin. You can even apply it directly to the skin to help with acne, eczema and sunburn etc.
  6. People with kidney stones can drink it because there’s no oxalic acid.
  7. Full of vitamins and minerals such as zinc, copper, calcium, manganese, magnesium, potassium.

No comments:

Post a Comment