Saturday, August 10, 2013

What's Cooking Saturdays? (Gluten Free!)

almond crust pizza
yummy toppings














Are you working on being gluten free? Do you miss eating pizza? I did when I started my gluten free life. I discovered a lovely recipe for this almond crust pizza above from Elana's Pantry. I bought her book see here... just look at that cake on the cover!


I don't do well with the gluten flour mixes they have out there with the potato starch and tapioca flour, too many carbs. So, I was delighted to find Elana's blog and cookbook on almond flour recipe's! She has done a lot of research and work developing these. I thank her so much :) !! And because I don't eat sugar either her book is right up my alley as she uses agave nectar as a sweetener. She gives you a lot of info on ingredients and where to get them in her book. 

chocolate filled cookies
Keep an eye out for my upcoming posts " What's Cooking Saturday's" to see some of the lovely cooking I'm doing at my house. I like to use recipe's but I always alter them a bit to my tastes. 




chocolate cream pie

Here are some muffin's I made that are delicious! On the left side is a recipe I found in Vegetarian Times magazine 12 years ago. It's the best vegan muffin recipe I've found. The base is peanut butter ( I use almond now) and banana. I add whatever flavors we are in the mood for chocolate chip, blueberry etc. I took out the wheat flour and added almond flour. Yummy! The muffin on the right is a delicious pumpkin spice coconut flour one from "The Primal Blueprint Cookbook by Mark Sisson" My husband loves this guy he's got a blog see it here... Marks Daily Apple

For the first recipe of this series that will post on Saturday's is...

 My very own chocolate chip oatmeal cookies! When I was a child my Grandma would bake these cookies and put them in the cookie jar. I loved them so much I would eat them even if they were super old with white marks on the chocolate chips. It has been a long struggle to create a recipe that worked but I finally did! 
Here it is...


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/4 cup ground rolled oats ( I use gluten free Bob's Redmill grind them up in a cuisinart)
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup softened butter ( vegan use a butter substitute)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 T almond extract
1 egg ( if you want it vegan use oil and water instead)
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 cup chocolate chips (  I use grain sweetened ones from Sunspire)

Set the oven to 350 degrees

Grind up the oats in a cuisinart to a fine flour. Mix the dry ingredients, oatmeal, flours, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. 
Cream together the eggs, agave, almond extract, oil and butter in a small bowl. 
Mix together with as few strokes as possible the dry and wet ingredients, then fold in chocolate chips.

You can drop a Tablespoon full of the dough on a cookie sheet or use an ice cream scoop and flatten them down. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Let them cool for a few minutes if you can stand it otherwise dig in! I can never wait but they fall apart if you eat them hot. Enjoy :) 

Come back next Saturday for the next recipe! 

Have a lovely healthy day!

Chandra



1 comment:

  1. I love that you'll be posting more recipes! That pizza looks yummy. I have a friend who makes her crust from cauliflower...might be fun to try. I am definitely going to try this cookie recipe, too. I think my son would like them.

    ReplyDelete