Saturday, August 17, 2013

Gluten free SATURDAYS! Who want's pizza for dinner tonight!?


 It's Saturday night if you can't go out to eat because you are gluten free and have no restaurants around you, who serve gluten free foods, you can make a delicious pizza at home!


I love making my own pizza anyway because I can put whatever toppings I like and as much or as little cheese as I want. I do love white sauce on my pizza but haven't come up with a good one yet. 

I use a pizza crust from my favorite cookbook " the Gluten Free Almond Flour cookbook" by Elana Amsterdam
Check out the video here! In this video she has a fan of her cookbook showing you how she makes the pizza crust. 
I agree with most of what she say's in the video but I add kosher salt and half the amount called for in the recipe. I also use olive oil instead of grapeseed oil because my husband say's it's bad for you and wont eat it. I usually double the recipe because it is so good we can eat a large pizza in one night.

Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (half this if you don't eat salt very often)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon oil
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Set aside a large baking sheet. Cut two pieces of parchment paper (very important to keep these flattened out with no wrinkles especially when rolling the dough out otherwise it cracks) 
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients, then in the middle of this pour oil and egg mix a little alone then mix with the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. If you want to add herbs, garlic or onion powders feel free it's to your taste, I usually add it to the tomato sauce instead.
Roll dough into a ball then place between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll out into 1/8th inch thick (or if you like it thicker make it 1/4 inch) in the shape you like your pizza. I've done square, rectangle and round whatever fits your pan. It's okay if it is flatter on the outsides because I go back in and make an edge pushing the crust up towards the middle in the shape I like. The transfer the bottom parchment paper to the baking sheet.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden. (very important to bake it before adding toppings, i've forgotten to bake it and I got a big pile of mush.) Remove from oven and add toppings while still warm.

This is the fun part you can add whatever toppings you like! We usually do mushrooms, broccoli and cheese. This one above was our summer delight pizza with a layer of colby cheese, tomato sauce I handmade with onion, garlic, thyme, oregano and basil, red bell pepper, zucchini, olives, broccoli and another layer of cheese on top. Yummy!
So have a great dinner and enjoy!

Cheers,
Chandra

1 comment:

  1. this looks wonderful!!! Thank you for posting and I look forward to trying it out!!!

    ReplyDelete