Thursday, December 6, 2012

Interview with Kristal Norton



Kristal Norton is an Artist who is helping others develop their creative abilities. I signed up for her Art Journaling 101 class on her blog. I learned a lot about backgrounds, my favorite was the spreading around of paint with an old credit card, it looks so cool! I like the colors she uses they are so bright but also dark.



She posted some great videos and pictures that inspired me to create some journal pages. She is encouraging to many people who want to learn more about mixed media, journaling, and letting go of your fears There is more to Kristal than journaling so lets dive in and see what she is all about!

Q: I noticed on Facebook you have pictures of various creative arts that you do. The marshmallows are so cute! How did you start making art?

A: Thank you! My Grandmother taught me how to sew and paint when I was little, and from there I was obsessed with trying just about every craft there is from soap making, basket weaving, quilting, and more. I eventually discovered the world of primitives ( which if you've never heard of it, is a grungy form of country...more early American style) and started up a business in 2003 making primitive dolls, ornaments, bowl fillers, and patterns over at Rags-n-Tags.com. 


Almost ten years later, I was feeling burnt out and decided to stop making primitive art. I felt it was time to explore another medium, do something more freeing. Now I'm on a new amazing journey discovering myself through art journaling and helping others do the same.

Q: What is your favorite creative process?

A: Most definitely intuitive painting and art journaling. When I just let myself go, and block my conscious decision making thoughts, I'm always surprised and delighted at what comes out! It's an amazing way to learn more about myself.




Q: Is there anyone who inspired you to be creative?

A: My Grandmother ( whom I call "Meme") was the one who got me creating when I was little. She passed away when I was about 15 years old, but she still is a big inspiration and driving force in me. She was a beautiful, courageous, strong, creative woman! I think of her almost ever time I create.


Q: I love how you blog about being creative. How did you get involved in helping others creatively?

A: As my primitive business grew to amazing heights, I found myself making and remaking the same designs over and over because they were in high demand. And before my eyes, my dream job slowly transformed into another 9-5 job. I felt suffocated, because while I was creating daily, I was not creating freely. I knew I had to get out and embark on a self discovery journey. Through this journey I was able to unearth my most authentic self, and my whole life turned around. I awoke to the real me through free creative expression. I'm living a more fulfilling life because of it. I knew when I went through this transformation that I had to share it with the world. I had to show others how to wake up from the daily grind and experience this wonderful, beautiful life that is waiting for them.



Q: What do you offer on your web site?

A: I share a lot of insights and tips on how to live a more fulfilling creative life through articles and videos on my blog. I also offer e-books, workshops, and one-on-one coaching for those who need help finding clairity on this amazing journey. My latest release is an e-book called "101+ Creative Journaling Prompts" full of inspiring writing prompts, art prompts, and visual examples with a bonus video of me creating an art journal page from start to finish using one of the prompts found in the book.


Q: What's one tip you would give those who are looking for more creativity in their lives?

A: If you feel the urge to bring more creativity into your life, but aren't sure how; there is something stopping you. Step back and take a look at what you're telling yourself. Ask yourself why you aren't creating today. Then ask again, and again, digging deeper into the root of the answer. Many times, the excuses you give yourself stem from fear, and once you're able to uncover that fear and stand face to face with it, you're able to more easily move past it. 




Q: What advice would you give other Artists wanting to build a business?

A: Having a blog and a newsletter list is the best way to grow an audience. But you must be consistent, diligent, and clear on your mission. It took me almost a year of blogging before I finally started seeing comments on every post and a growing list of followers. Never give up on your dream, keep pushing forward!

Thank you so much for this interview Kristal! I also had a Grandma who did many crafts with me as a child that I think of frequently.

Get in on the art journaling with Kristal Norton!

Facebook Kristal Norton
Her Website 
and for all of you Moms out there check this out Busy Moms VS Daily Grind

Have a great day,
Chandra



2 comments:

  1. Thank you both! What a great interview! I love, love, love hearing about how other artists have found their creative wings! Kristal, I'm headed over now to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete